Lupus Awareness Month 2010!
On the eve of May 2010 Lupus Awareness Month, the organization that has served New Yorkers with the chronic autoimmune disease, systemic lupus, for 40 years—the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation—unveils an exciting menu of activities for the month ahead.
“We've been here for New Yorkers with lupus for 40 years,” said Margaret G. Dowd, executive director of the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation. “The wide scope of services that we’ve delivered to New Yorkers for generations is made possible by our unparalleled understanding of the unique needs of the city’s complex and diverse population. While May is a special month for everyone involved with lupus, our volunteers and staff work tirelessly to advance the needs of people with lupus every day, all year long.”
- May 1—We launch Lupus Awareness Month 2010 with a special day of beauty and health for people with lupus. Living Healthy with Lupus Day presented with (and at) the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) on East 70th street will include complimentary services and workshops on such topics as massage, health food, makeup, and hairstyling. The goal: to help women and men with lupus feel better—inside and out! Event is sold out, but “expert tips” will be featured here on LupusNY.org post-event.
- May 3—Our special 40th Anniversary lupus awareness window display will be unveiled in the heart of midtown Manhattan—at 10 Rockefeller Center, steps from NBC’s Today Show plaza. The catchy 115-square foot window also will feature compelling print and televised messages from the Ad Council’s “Could I Have Lupus?” campaign targeted to young women most at risk for developing the disease.
- May 4—Our festive New York Bag Ladies Luncheon and Celebrity Handbag Auction at 583 Park Avenue will raise funds for lupus research and patient support programs in New York. Among the more than 200 handbags are the latest designer “it bags” and previously (and very gently) used purses, clutches, shoulder bags, and more donated by such entertainers as Mariah Carey, Zoe Saldana, and Lady Gaga. Jill Zarin of the television show Real Housewives of New York City will host the event and introduce a special performance of the Off Broadway hit Love, Loss, and What I Wore by Tony winner Joanna Gleason. Tickets still available!
- May 10—World Lupus Day. We go global with our message of hope for a cure through lupus research as we band together with other members of the powerful Lupus Research Institute (LRI) National Coalition in encouraging advocates to wear the signature “orange” of lupus awareness on World Lupus Day—and invite everyone to share pictures of supporters from around the world wearing orange at Facebook.com/LupusNY and Twitter.com/LupusNY.
- May 12—Foundation outreach centers in Brooklyn and the Bronx stretch their recognition of Lupus Awareness Month to National Women’s Health Week by hosting group walks in the Crotona Park Nature Center (Bronx) and Fort Greene Park (Brooklyn).
Visit LupusNY.org for more on these and other special events and weekly lupus support groups throughout New York City’s
Lupus Awareness Month 2010 and beyond!